Took out The Athlete for lunch today, and he broke the news to me that he's been seeing someone and it's gotten serious enough that they're exclusive (again). I'm not completely surprised, I was kind of warned this would happen. And I was warned it would happen soon. I guess I just wasn't expecting right now. Or I just forgot. Or I just hoped. Or . . .
I was fine at the time, but now that I've had a little while to let it sink in, I realize that I'm really sad about it. Not that I wanted to develop a committed relationship with him, but that now we can't exactly be friends. I don't want our friendship to end. I was really looking forward to our friendship. He says he was, too, but it would probably be difficult for her.
Why would he do this? She lives in Seattle and he's moving to DC! We were both looking forward to having friends there, but now. I mean, WTF? Not smart, not smart on his part. Why would he do this? What is he thinking?
It's fear. I know he's afraid of being totally alone. Maybe my talk with him about keeping it casual knocked him into some bit of fear into commitment. Kind of like The Agent. Is it some bit of fear that if things don't go well with one woman, they stick to the one they've got? And why her? Ok, she's young, she's smart, she's somewhat cute, and kinda frumpy like him. I just wish she were a better person.
Fuck, I need to get a better job. That might be part of it.
No comments:
Post a Comment