Sunday, May 2, 2010

Birth, Or Rebirth

Greetings from about 35,000 feet in the air. Yes, I'm writing this post as this Boeing jet takes me and my furry companion eastward to our new home in Washington, DC.

I'm super-excited, this has been a long time coming. I've been in love with the town for as long as I could remember. In fact, I think my romance may have started when I was a kid watching Heartburn with Jack Nicholson and Meryl Streep. I remember the scene when they first met and her pick-up line that she recognized him from Meet the Press. I thought that sounded so cool (ya, okay, I was a bit of a nerd growing up) and since then, I became a regular viewer of the show. Actually, maybe it was the movie, Broadcast News, during the first date between Holly Hunter and William Hurt. I just thought it was so romantic and glamorous to dress up for a party at an embassy with the backdrop of one of the monuments. Maybe that's why I'm moving to DC, to experience dating in what I consider one of the most romantic cities in the world. I've been working in DC pretty regularly the last 6 months and I fall in love with the town more and more every time.

I feel like John Hurt's character, Quentin Crisp in An Englishman in New York when he arrived in New York. Feeling like as soon as he saw the city, he wanted it. That its streets were the closest thing to Heaven on earth and that walking on them wasn't about "scurrying from shadow to shadow," but striding down the middle, "on display."

I don't stride, here. I strut.

No comments:

Post a Comment